April 8, 2014 Leave a comment
Software updates are a vital part of computer security hygiene, but they are surprisingly under researched.
The following is a list of interesting quotes and news articles about software updates:
- “The Internet of Things” should really be called “The Internet of Devices Running Outdated Software That the Vendor Will Never Bother to Patch” — commenter on http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/is-your-refrigerator-really-part-of-a-massive-spam-sending-botnet/
- Chrome plugins purchased by people who want to side load in adware and malware. http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/malware-vendors-buy-chrome-extensions-to-send-adware-filled-updates/
- “What I really wanted to ask is why the hell I have to keep updating the apps on my iPhone all the time and why you don’t fix that,” McCain grumbled. http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/09/18/ios_7_iphone_software_update_addresses_john_mccain_s_automatic_app_updating.htm
- The Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit – Microsoft’s answer to 3rd party buggy software. It effectively forces software to behave in a way that makes it challenging to hack. For example, random address assignment.
Windows XP end-of-life news and quotes:
- Slashdot story on the Diehards who won’t leave XP
- Slashdot story on the UK Government paying Microsoft for extended XP support